Saturday 3 October 2020

#currentlyreading


 

Every year, the Lions group hold their annual bookfair - selling tens of thousands of donated books, to raise money for the community. Jessica by Bryce Courtenay is one of the gems I picked up.

I first read this book as a teenager and I remember loving it, but reading it now, my emotions are entirely different to what I remember.

Have you ever both loved a book and hated it? I mean, the story is so gripping that you can't put it down, but the contents are so tragic and sad that you want to hurl the book against the wall?

That's what this book is like for me. 

I'm not going to say any more because I don't like spoilers, but this book is ripping out my emotions and throwing them around and I want to jump inside the pages and throttle some people.

So far, it's showing both the best and worst of humanity all at once. The insane, evil power of greed, and the power of love. I can't remember exactly how it ends (and I'm resisting the temptation to turn to the back few pages to check) but I'm hoping that good will triumph over evil. It always does, doesn't it? Although, so far, from what I've read, I'm actually having my doubts.

Have you read it? What did you think? Let me know!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    I haven't read this, but a book that is so gripping and pulls you in and plays on your emotions is a good book :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome book! I highly recommend it :)

      Delete